Raccoons

I have officially typed the word “raccoon” too many times and now it doesn’t look like a real word. What the fuck, raccoons? What the fuck kind of word is “raccoon”?

1. smellmyhead

at a certain point i start mentally pronouncing it like “Laocoön,” or rather – the way i think “Laocoön” is supposed to pronounced.

November 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm

• “Laocoön” is a four-syllable word, so I hope that’s exactly how you pronounce “raccoon”.

November 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm

2. Janet Maffy

Don’t feel bad about questioning that spelling; I actually bought a t-shirt from a state park near Santa Cruz with the word spelled “racoon.” This park was known for its “cute” raccoons. Now I know just how evil they can be…chasing my cats away from their own bowl and hissing at me when I chase them off…not so cute anymore. They even have the balls to peak in my windows…peeping tomraccoons?

November 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm

• Ugh, I can’t stand them. I am convinced they evolved to be so adorable to hide the fact that they are brilliant pet-threatening-lock-picking-privacy-invading evil masterminds. With claws.

November 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

3. I’m up in Vancouver, BC, dealing with my own raccoon problems this fall. There is a pack of four of them that have been coming up on our covered back deck every night–even though the deck is now covered with cayenne pepper to keep them away–and pooping prolifically on the indoor-outdoor carpeting. When I contacted our city officials about the overabundance of raccoons in our part of Vancouver this year, I was told the provincial Department of Wildlife takes care of this. How does it work in California, where I understand you are? (This is the first time I’ve been on your site–and I like what I’ve seen so far.) Is it the state as a whole that is responsible for raccoons, or do the individual cities, or regions, take care of this?

November 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

• If they cause problems, we can probably call Animal Control. Most people just deal with it unless the little buggers are doing actual damage to property and pets.

November 8, 2012 at 4:21 pm

• I read something recently in a Canadian paper, written by an expat American, that said in California raccoons are categorized as pests, like rats, and Californians can get rid of them, presumably killing them yourselves if you want to. We’d probably get a lengthly jail sentence if we did that. Was the author of that newspaper article wrong, or exaggerating to make a point?

November 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm

• In California, raccoons are categorized as “furbearers” and as such have a hunting season. However, if they prove a nuisance, you can kill them at any time, although since there is usually no shooting in city limits and poison is dangerous to other fauna, it is generally recommended that you find somebody who can trap and relocate them for you.

November 9, 2012 at 6:15 am

• Thanks for sorting that out for me. I told a few people up here Californians were legally permitted to kill raccoons if they were just very annoying. It’s not that simple . . .

November 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm